Principles of Public-Private Plastic Bag & Film Recycling Partnerships
- Recycling containers – Cities or counties can work with retail establishments to place recycling containers for plastic bags and films in a prominent location within their store. This is done without mandates or ordinances.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle message on bags – Partners agree to have a message on each bag that is more than the current standard “This bag is recyclable.”
- Education and marketing partnership – The jurisdiction can commit to education and advertising on plastic bag recycling programs using the city’s available methods of outreach which may include:
- Inserting notes/advertisements in municipal utility bills.
- Promote partnership on the public access channel
- Effective measurements – Participating retailers can voluntarily commit to monitoring recycling container volumes to help measure the success of the program.